Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Long Lines are a Good Thing

I live in an amazing country. For all its faults and all its beauty and all its wonder and all its challenges, the United States is an amazing country. Not only are we allowed to have a say in who runs our country, we are encouraged to to exercise that right. We have a right and a power to try to move this country in the direction that we each think it should move. This is more than a right, it is a responsibility.

Most of the people on this planet do not have this right, they are powerless in this respect. And we should not forget that it was not that long ago that many people in this country did not have it either.

So, when you stand in line waiting to vote, look around. Look at all the other people standing in line, waiting and waiting and waiting. Take the time to think--this is our chance, this is our country, this is our right.

Today, long lines are a good thing.

1 comment:

Amy Sue Nathan said...

I was in and out in 5 minutes. I would have waited, but I'll admit I was glad I didn't have to.

There is nothing bad about a day when grown-ups walk around with stickers on their shirts.